Wednesday, June 24, 2009

First Day of Summer Vacation

I adore my children. I may not like the last day of school, but I LOVE summer vacation. Today was a fabulous reminder of what great little people I have. Our first day of summer vacation was spent with minimal arguing, a little work and a lot of fun. The only rule we had today was NO GETTING DRESSED. Pajama Day! (Swimsuits excepted.) We got up and played some computer games in our pjs--because we could! We had some breakfast--together! We did some chores--with minimal groaning because of the fabulous carrot that was dangling...swimming in the new pool in the yard. (Although swimming is relative--it is a blow up pool from Target. And yes, my arms are quite buff from pumping it up with the $5 pump from Walmart. Note to self: buy the electric pump next time.) Then it was WATER TIME!

Filling the pool is half the fun, you know. So is throwing in all the toys and then having to make room for your siblings. Bella has to use a stool to get in because the side is a little high for her, but she figured it out. Orion remembered that she needed it and ran in to get it for her this morning--he is so thoughtful. They played in the sun for 3 hours while I vacuumed and mopped in peace. If anyone had told me that I would be able to clean my house in peace during summer vacation I would have told them they were crazy. Meanwhile, the kids were getting waterlogged and hungry. So, next up was an oh-so-nutritious lunch of pbj, oranges and otter pop/freezer pop (hey, it was HOT!) and back into the water. Bella and I had a raucous game of Dora Candyland and then she decided to go back in the water...in her pajamas, but oh well. Finally, everyone came in a little pink, exhausted and hungry, of course. Dinner was even calm and then time with Grandma Susie writing out our list of To Dos for the Summer: Fantasy Island, the park (daily preferably), the Glass museum, James' House, James' Grandma's House, ArtPark, Kirtland, the Zoo and the Dollar Store are some of the many on the list we're posting on the wall.

We're wrapping up our day with a Veggie Tales movie (a little learning about telling the truth) and we're off to bed--and I bet they sleep well. We're all tired and have enjoyed today. I am so glad it is summer vacation. I needed to be reminded a fundamental truth: I adore my children.

1 comment:

Karen said...

LOVE IT! What a good momma!

So should I have a celebration day even if our summer vacay is only 3 weeks long. Year round school...I will have a 3rd grader & kindergartener on July 2nd (last day) then a 4th & 1st grader on July 27th. Poor kids, doesn't seem fair does it?

Maybe I should be more like Aunt Alaska and have a HUGE celebration? =)