Saturday, July 18, 2009

ArtPark

I LOVE ARTPARK. So, for those of you who aren't in the know about ArtPark, it is this WAY COOL place in Lewiston, NY where every Saturday in July, every child's art fantasy comes true. They put out the paint. They put out the FACE paint. They put out the glue, tape, scissors, craft-you-name-it and then put out a zillion smiley people to help you make cool crafts. One of the workers there told me, "You can tell who are the regulars by the clothes the kids are wearing. If they come up over the hill and look like they've already lost a war with a paint can, they are definitely regulars. The ones in white or photo-clothes, we urge to go home and change and come back..."

Did I mention ArtPark is FREE! Definitely in my summer budget, so we went today, and Cutty Tapey (Otherwise known as Orion) came home covered in homemade tattoos (take rubber stamps, apply ink, stamp on body, color in with markers...EVERYWHERE! Yes, even the forehead.) Xavier made a cool fish hangy-thing and they all got to paint. As in, paper attached to the wall of a big old shed with clothespins and huge pots of paints in a rainbow of color sitting on a bench for use by all. No dropcloth. No "ooh, be careful." No "here put on a smock." Just "here, have a paintbrush and a piece of paper." The best part: I didn't have to clean up. We got there a little late, but still had a ball. I know where I'm going next Saturday. Want to come? I overheard this comment: "I love it here, Mom. I know Honey. I love to draw on myself. I know Honey. Wait, where else do I let you draw on yourself? Only here, Mommy. That's why I love it here." I LOVE ARTPARK.

2 comments:

Karen said...

So when you move back to Utah as a rich doctor's wife you are going to start an ArtPark here? I SO wish I could join you! My kiddos would LOVE it. =)

Becky said...

Wow, sounds like fun!