Saturday, January 16, 2010

New Year...new goals?

So, I didn't end 2009 well with my goal of having at least one posting a month--I missed December. I should probably have written in November and posted it in December because I knew I was going to be too busy. But I didn't. Such is my life. However, I am going to do better this year! January = new post. See, I'm so good.

January has been filled with angst and quite a bit of well, vomit. Can I tell you how much I was not prepared for the volume of bodily fluids that accompanied being a mom? Really. No one tells you how much vomit comes out of a 40 pound child when the stomach flu is upon them. I suppose if they told me, I would NOT have signed up for the job. I just really don't like to deal with it. It is bad enough if it is coming from me...which it has been. Oh yeah, the other part they don't tell you about parenthood: YOU have to vomit for a while before you get the bundle of joy. Yep, I'm in the middle of that early period of pregnancy where vomit happens. No, not just in the morning. I have morning sickness, I just-ate-something sickness, I need-to-eat-something sickness, twlight sickness and go-to-bed-NOW sickness. Pretty much the whole day...so, I'm a joy to behold these days.

My kids have been pretty good about it. They think it is hilarious that I can't eat potatoes--yep that food taboo is back in spades. Orion has taken to "reading" the labels (he looks for p's and asks if that is the word "potato") to make sure there are NO potatoes in whatever I'm eating. Xavier thinks it is hilarious to offer me food he knows has potatoes in it. I may just vomit on him. Bella just keeps asking if it is August yet. Or rather, if it is Daddy's birthday yet, because the baby's birthday is after his August birthday.

As far as edible foods go, I'm into pears, apple juice and bagels with cream cheese. Blueberries seem to be really exciting--I like blueberry poptarts, mini-pies (thank you Evil Walmart Empire for yet another really healthy food...) and muffins.

Matthew was the most surprised about our impending arrival. I gave him a positive pregnancy test on our anniversary. He looked at it and said, "Is this real? Where did you get it? Did you use the one out of the medicine cabinet? Or did you buy a new one?" I just sat there and looked at him and waited for it to sink in. Then he was really excited. "Really?!? YES!" He is as excited as Arabella and is handling my nausea with the neutral expression of a doctor. I only have minor urges to smack him.

So, with my friend Amber, my goal is to gain 10 pounds of baby. Yes, it'll probably be that big. Aren't they all? I guess my third goal is to see how much I can shock these Buffalo doctors and nurses with the size of my progeny...So, I'll be trying to keep the blog going with my oh-so-enlightening blogging at least once a month. However, if not, it is because I am working on my second goal and making a zillion cells a day to create Baby Starfruit (our nickname for him...long story.). Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Wow. I just found out that you're pregnant on your BLOG. Maybe one of your new year's goals should be to contact me once in a while! I won't ask for once a month, but come on!

As soon as I catch up on Christmas and our last Disneyland trip, I'm hoping to achieve the goal of getting things posted within a month of when they happen. So hopefully next December, I won't be posting pictures of Halloween again!

Oh yeah...CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm happy for you. I wonder if this would have happened if Matthew hadn't decided to do a research year? ;)