Thursday, September 10, 2009

My note to the GOP after President Obama's speech

I am not pleased to be a republican after last night. I am married to a doctor, I am legally trained and I am trying to understand this battle--and remain republican. Frankly, Ladies and Gentlemen, I am struggling with that. I have to agree with the man I did NOT vote for when he asks that you quit throwing the same non-issues out to confuse the masses: "These are common sense reforms that we can achieve right now without destroying jobs, exploding the deficit, rationing care, or taking away the freedoms American families cherish." What kind of hyperbolic crap is this? We don't need fear, we need common sense and helpful information. That is what I expect from my leaders--and why I have in the past voted republican. Please step up.
I am very aware that the decisions that are being made will affect me--not only my personal care and the care of my family but the very economic base for our home. I take this seriously. Do not keep throwing out the same crappy "they are taking over the world" and "they are going to put us in debt" lines (hello, we're already there!). Inform us, don't scare us. And don't insult the office of the President. I teach my children every day about respect. Could we display that on national tv? (I am not just talking about Mr. Wilson, all you men and women waving papers and groaning and whispering while the leader of the US is speaking.)
I very much appreciated the call to statesmanship that was presented. Please take it. Convince President Obama to protect my liberty, but not at the stake of someone else's life--and do it respectfully. Thank you for your service. May God bless you to do it well.

3 comments:

The Valsy said...

Alaska
I just read your comment about the Fazel field trip and your UN woman! I am soooooooooo in! PLease hook us up!
vanderson7@kc.rr.com

I anxiously wait

Becky said...

Hey Alaska! Jeromy here. I like to catch up with you guys through your blog from time to time. I think your points on respecting the President are very valid. We teach the same to our kidos. Personally, I never judge any politicians based on their speeches (which they do not write and which are based on what they think we want to hear based on polls, agendas, etc.) I base my opinions on what they do. So far, President Obama has spent a lot of money (politics as usual) and we have not yet seen the economic impacts he promised. Only time will tell if he is leading our country in the right direction or not. Flowery speeches are nice, but the real politics are often very different from what is being sold. You ask for compromise and a joining of resources across party lines to seek the greater good of all Americans. That is a beautiful dream that I also wish so much to see. Unfortunately, I have yet to see it in my lifetime and have grown tired of political bickering. No matter which party is running the show, underneath it all, it still seems to be "politics as usual".

Liz said...

Hi Alaska! So good to hear from you. I always think of you and Becky during this time of year~you throw the most fabulous parties!

I just want to go off the grid and live on a piece of land with my family where we harness the wind for energy, grow vegetables, and have a goat.

I would also like an alpaca that I can shear twice a year and make sweaters.

How are the kiddos? How's residency? (Are you still in residency?)

rosiedays@mac.com